Wednesday, April 22, 2015

The Real Lesson of Buddy Ball

I think I'm far too honest and transparent with my emotions to deal with power-happy buddy ball coaches and attend my son's games. Thankfully, my son's coach is patient and knowledgable and really seems to care about the kids. I'm grateful for that. But not all coaches are like that. 

I had my first "experience" that I've heard about for so long. That experience I refer to is the one when I witnessed grown men behave as though buddy ball was the friggin World Series. Now if you are offended by language in the least, stop reading now. I don't want anyone's ears to bleed. You were warned.

Seems to me that we adults would understand that buddy ball is a time for little boys (7-year-olds) to learn how to play baseball. It's their first opportunity to have pitches thrown to them and to hit the ball. It's a time when you learn important life lessons about team work and being able to count on other people and they on you. It's a time to learn that you wait you turn, follows the rules, and learn the reward of the hard work of practicing. It is a time to learn the MANY rules that are involved in a baseball game. (You don't realize how many rules and nuances there actually are until you start explaining them to a 7-year-old. And yes. I know baseball as well as I know theatre. I even know a balk when I see it.) It is a time for the kids to develop a love for the game. 

But here's the thing... I had an epiphany. What if the REAL lesson to be learned in little kid buddy ball is how NOT to be an asshole. I'm not kidding. It is a lesson in attitude. What happens when some idiot coach starts hatefully screaming at a little kid because he turned his head to see where the ball is instead of running hard to the plate? I'll tell you what. It teaches that it's ok to be an asshole. What happens when the little 7-year-old pitcher who thinks the play is over (I mean, since he has the ball and he's standing on the mound and all... Why wouldn't he think that?) tosses the ball to the other team's coach for him to pitch to the next kid in the lineup, and the coach jumps out of the way of the ball and screams for his players to keep running?! It teaches it's ok to be an asshole. What about the ump? What if he accepts that sort of behavior and doesn't teach the coach and the crowd and the kids that that's not ok? There is something called common sense that must be used when you are dealing with little kids. I'm for following the rules, but come on. This was an underhanded loophole of a move. This didn't mean winning or losing the game. This was just a guy being an asshole. What if this coach stands on the pitcher's mound and starts yelling at the opposing team's coach when he questions this ridiculous play, "YOU DON'T WANT TO START WITH ME!" Again...  Asininity. 

And you know what? I think baseball can be taught sans that kind of attitude. I don't care if my son ever wins a game. I want him to learn the game, have a great time doing it, and learn those life lessons that will make him a better adult. But there is one thing I won't and can't tolerate and that is being a jerk to a kid and teaching kids who look up to you that being an asshole is the way to be. 

In related news, I'd like to take this opportunity to publicly apologize for my anger and words last night at the ballgame after I witnessed such behavior. I am a passionate person. I don't really recall exactly what I said (pretty sure I used the word "kill" a lot), but rest assured it was honest. And let's be thankful there was a fence between me and the field, and I'm thankful everyone knows who I am now, and I'll just leave it at that. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment